Monday, August 25, 2008

A Little Help from my Friends!

So I took this really cool seminar about putting my career on the right path by incorporating more business into it. So, I am a brand: Jodi Beck. What does that brand mean to you? And more importantly what characteristics do I share with famous people that I can reference? The people I got in class from people who don't know me are:
Alanis Morissette- her earthiness/ groundedness
Jennifer Garner- who I look like (thanks! she's beautiful)
Toni Collette- her power
Tina Fey- her intelligence
One girl said that I reminded her of a teacher that listens well and is really a cool person to be around. I guess for hanging out with these people in a class for three hours that's a really nice first impression. Some of these suggestions I agree with, some I think could be better. The way the brand works is that I would go to a casting director or agent and say something like, "I'm the beauty of Jennifer Garner, with the comic sensibilities and intelligence of Tina Fey with the power of Toni Collette." Basically, it puts images in their minds and helps them better place me and market me to the world. So, please, Please, PLEASE, those of you that know me tell me who you've always thought I resembled in any way- any part of my character. The more I get the better. I can throw out the ones I'm sure aren't right and maybe get some better analogies.

4 comments:

jpb2525 said...

At first blush - I would say "Bette Midler" - her wit, her tenacity, her humour, her tenderness, her comic timing, her unflinching desire to tell the truth at whatever the cost....but that is just off the top of my head- I will think of more I am sure! I love you my lil' sis!!

Anonymous said...

As part of my job, I have to continually think about branding - in my case - a company, but I think your on the right track.

Here's a simple explanation of branding - company based:

"By strongly communicating brand identity — the way we look, what we say and how we say it — we show our clients what makes us stand out from the rest."

So in essesence, find something unique to you and constantly figure out a way to communicate it in daily ways. I think your positive outlook despite adversity might be a good place to start. It can be infectious.

Also, then next step would be to develop a mission statement. This sounds like something for only businesses, but a personal mission is helpful to anyone. It keeps you on track.

My mission statement revolves around my family and has nothing to do with my business career. I did a weekend conference to develop it and a road map for life. When we are up for the week after Christmas, I can bring the materials.

I know - I've been wordy, but hopefully it will help.

Love Ya,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Jodi I first thought Bette like John but I also thinFor k you bring some unique qualities. Your sensetivity tempered with strong sense of fairness and intelligence. Then there is your uncommon beaty like Christina Margolise not sure of the spelling. When you sing you touch my heart and my soul and when its fun you make me want to dance. I guess I better stop before I get too sloppy Love yah Mom

Cassie said...

Jodi,
I have really been thinking so much about this blog entry and I have to say that I don't ever want anyone to associate you with another person. YOU are YOU! SIMPLE. I understand the rational, but YOU are who is going to succeed. If they (the casting lovelies) put a known actor to your face I fear they will never "get" the beauty, talent and drive that is the woman I know and love. I agree with Kim. Make them remember you. Create your own brand that young actors in the future will then try to associate themselves with.