Sunday, January 20, 2008

Flashback Friday...uhhh... Sunday

So I've been thinking a lot about singing lately. I know you're thinking, of course, Jodi, you must think about singing all the time. I don't. I used to. But I don't. Now if I think about singing it is more like what 16 or 32 bars do I want to sing for this audition or that audition. Or, Oh god, I have to sing a new song for class (by the way I am starting class again tomorrow and I took a fabulous master class with Victoria Clark today- more later). Anyway, because I want to put together a cabaret, I have been thinking about a time that I sang for fun and enjoyed every moment of it. Hence, the flashback:
I used to sing everything from, "Please pass the butter" to "I have to pee!" But the singing I remember most was at night in the bedroom that I shared with my sister, Jenny. We would be laying in our single beds and instead of saying our prayers we would sing the Lord's Prayer the way they taught it to us at the hippie Catholic church we would sometimes go to when we missed Mass at our church. We were always late to Mass. Dad always said that if we made it before Communion we would be forgiven. Jenny and I loved to sing it together. I think it sometimes annoyed our brothers and our mom, so we would just sing it louder. Jenny was my favorite singing partner...

4 comments:

Charissa said...

Favorite singing partner, eh? Hmmm... I guess I'll let that one go.


heh heh :)

jpb2525 said...

well - I do remember you both singing before bed - and getting yelled at too...I personally (though I did go through a period where I declared everyone "misfits") loved singing in the car - we used to do it all the time on the road with mom...I really miss that - no matter what was going on in our lives (meaning mom's)...it was a time I really remember feeling safe and happy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodi, Yes you did get in trouble at times like that and when you blasted out all our eardrums in the car. I must say I love to hear you sing most all other times. I especially miss all the voices singing together in the car and I must admit there are lots of times I sing by myself but a whole lot is missing. Love you guys and you too Charissa Mom

Anonymous said...

I loved singing with you too Jo-Jo. It has been a long time since I thought of that. I miss you very much and think about you often and just want every happiness for you!! As for the Our Father, I especially liked the acustic (spelling sorry) guitar and the tamborine. We sang..... a lot in our family. Do you remember when I was your choriographer for the talent show? I always envisioned me helping your career from behind the scenes (helping you pick your music and putting your dances together). I had it all planned :). Love ya! Jenny