Friday, January 18, 2008

Whew!- The Longest Week Ever!

I am exhausted. I'll give you a brief rundown of my week and then you'll understand why I haven't written in a week. And in perfect exhausted fashion, I will write my "Flashback Friday," tomorrow (Saturday).
Week in Review....
Monday: Went to work at the studio from 10am to 6pm.
Went to Astoria to start my first night of training at the Pub I told you about (late shift 7pm-430am)
Tuesday:Took a gypsy cab home from the bar ($14).
Slept for three hours.
Drank far too much coffee.
Went to work at the studio from 10am-6pm.
Went to Astoria to start my second night of training (7am-430am)
Wednesday: Took an off duty yellow cab home from the bar ($14- he couldn't turn on the meter because he was off duty so I just paid him what I paid the guy the night before).
Slept for three hours.
Drank even more coffee (Did I mention that I had hoped to cut down on my caffeine consumption for the New Year?)
Went to work at the studio from 10am-6pm.
If I drank coffee, I don't remember- I am amazed that I was functioning so well. The body is an amazing thing, even when you abuse it.
Went to Astoria for my third night of training (7pm-5am- I had to cash out on my own so it took a little while longer and there was this jokey girl** at the bar until 420am so I had to stay a bit longer).
Thursday: Took a yellow cab home (I was his first fare of the day. It only cost 9.50, so I tipped extra and realized I would negotiate better the next time I get in a gypsy cab).
Slept for 5 hours- I went into work late
Worked at the studio from 1pm-11pm
Came home and hung out with Mere (she thinks she found an apartment, we have our fingers crossed!)
Friday: Slept for 6 1/2 hours.
Worked at the studio.
Went to the gym for my Fluidity class (It is sooooo awesome, I feel every muscle in my butt and thighs!)
Met my friend Jenn out for cocktails and dinner.
Home!- blogging and about to pass out!

** True story- The bar is on Ditmars between 36th and 37th street (my first apartment in NYC was on 37th, across the street). The last person in the bar was this jokey blond girl eating a salad she brought from somewhere else and drinking a water (to be fair, she had had a beer previously, but it was 415am and she was just drinking water). I was bitter. Tired and Bitter. We couldn't count money until she was gone. The bartender informs her of this fact and
She says: Oh my gawd! I am SOOOO soooorryyy! I need to call a car.
Bartender: Where do you live?
Girl (while scrolling her I-phone for the number): Nearby, but I DO NOT walk home alone. Bartender: J^%# will walk you home, but I'll have to get him.
Girl: (Earnestly) Give me the number here and I will walk home. If I don't call in ten minutes, walk down 37th street to see if I'm being abducted.
Bartender (While walking her to the door to let her out): Okay, ten minutes.

NO JOKE, the phone rang two minutes later- the girl lived in MY OLD building and she was going to call a car service to take her 400 feet across the street. RIDICULOUS!!!! on so many levels. There isn't a safer neighborhood in this city. I used to walk home after taking the train home at all hours of the morning.

4 comments:

jpb2525 said...

don't work yourself to death Jojo! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodi I hate to see you working so hard. You can only abuse your body so much and then it will get you so rest and stay healthy. Oh and SAFE too. Love you Mom

Anonymous said...

How long have you lived there? And was she someone who moved here or had roots in the area (family members)? I'm glad things have improved in most of NYC. But back in the early 90s, I remember taking a cab a few blocks from a subway stop in Brooklyn to a friend's place on Atlantic ave. I felt dumb, but was following family advice (my family's mostly from Brooklyn). This advice being due to the rapes and murders of serveral family members, neighbors, etc. from the 70s-early 90s. When I got to the party, some of the guests were late to the suprise because they had to pull over & duck to avoid gunfire from two groups shooting at each other across the street.

I hope the current safe climate where taking a cab a few blocks can be ridiculed continues. 'Cause I'd sure as hell hate to see it go back to the old days. Kitty Genovese lived in Kew Gardens, not Astoria, but if you're not familiar with the name, considering you're working late nights at a bar in Queens you may want to read up on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese

Jodi said...

Thanks, anonymous! I have lived in NYC for 7 years. It is safe in Astoria. Of course you still have to be smart, not carrying all your tips, and not being totally drunk and walking alone, but it is safe. I didn't wander around after my shift. I took a cab home, but it is quite a bit farther than across the street. I stick to my story that this girl was ridiculous (and obviously new to the city). Anyway, I don't work there anymore, Thank God!