Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Weird Behavior

I didn't show up for my shift at the bar- I tried to call, but the number I had was no longer in service. Yes, I just made an excuse for a "no call- no show." I can hardly believe that I did it, but the thought of setting foot in that bar to work from 7pm to 430am just made me crazy. I couldn't do it and it is so out of character for me to not care that I put people out. Okay, I care. Obviously. I am writing about it...
But, the only person that can truly take care of me is me. It is for the best. A few things I realized from my two weeks working two jobs in a Ten on Tuesday- Wednesday Edition:
1. 180 hours of work in two weeks is possible, but beyond exhausting.
2. I was spoiled at Serendipity when it came to money.
3. People (particularly those between the ages of 21 and 35) do awful things to their bodies between the hours of 7pm and 4am.
4. I now know what a car bomb is and I never want to try it.
5. When you cocktail waitress you can get away with saying things you could never say in a restaurant, including calling a guy a f%^#ing a%#hole. It's amazing what happens when you don't sleep and someone makes fun of you.
6. The people who stay at the bar until closing are usually the strangest people. I've been one of them, and I'm gonna try not to be ever again.
7. I met a guy that was an Afghanistan war veteran. He is bi-polar (a diagnosis he told me he was given) and an alcoholic. Through a few hours waiting on this guy I can see how men (and women) who fight wars end up homeless.
8. Lack of sleep heightens your emotions (all of them, in fact- even ones you thought you were incapable of feeling).
9. Trying to pretend that you aren't working all night long(bar job) and then coming into work(day job) with bloodshot eyes doesn't work. There are only so many times that you can say you have something in your eyes.
10. Paying for your health insurance with a second job is silly if it compromises the health you are attempting to insure.

5 comments:

Charissa said...

Oooohhh... good post, Jod. And although I am few notches less healthy than you are, I don't do car bombs either. See - we're both classy like that.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you don't work there anymore. I love you Jodi!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just realized that was really creepy....I didn't put my name on it....It was my post before and my post now.
Jenny

jpb2525 said...

Jodi. I love you. You are a determined woman - you will perservere.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jodi Glad your back writing your blog I missed you and I am even more glad you are not working that bar job anymore. Whats a car bomb? Love Mom