Saturday, September 22, 2007

5. Tuna Fish

So, Mere and I went to the grocery store on Tuesday night. I just wanted to pick up a few things. I didn't have my grocery bag with me and I feel guilty getting a lot of plastic bags. In NYC, stores double bag everything because you have to carry it farther. In our case this store is about twelve blocks away (it's the only one open late). So, I was hoping to get away with putting everything in my backpack. It didn't happen... I carried one bag too. I am going to try to remember to pack my grocery bag with me everyday. I got it from Whole Foods and it really was a great investment. When you shop there, if you use a reusable bag, then you get a small discount on your groceries! Anyway, I wanted tuna fish. I walked to the tuna aisle and was overcome by the fact that I didn't know what albacore tuna was and I couldn't find the regular stuff. All I could tell was the albacore was a lot more expensive than the regular tuna I've always had. I stood there looking for the chunk light tuna in water until Mere came over to see what was taking me so long. We stood there for a good ten minutes while she explained to me what albacore was, how her mom would buy herself the "good stuff" and give the regular to the kids. Anyway, it was funny to us! I decided to get one can of the albacore because I couldn't find the chunk light. As we stood at the checkout I saw a sign that said the albacore was only $0.79. So I had Mere pick me up another one and as we checked out the lady behind the counter said, there was a limit of one... Weird, right? All this drama for tuna!
And John, I like mine with real Hellman's mayonnaise, but the albacore doesn't really taste all that different!

3 comments:

Charissa said...

Hahaha. You didn't know what albacore was? :)

Oh - and PLEASE recyle those bags and send them to me for dog poo. At least they will get a second life in Baltimore keeping dog poo off of the sidewalk. Bags are blessed to dog owners, my love.

Anonymous said...

Jodi--
They have you brainwashed! You do not get a small discount when you use your reusable bag...Whole Foods has a greater margin than most groceries! They are still charging you more.

Love ya!
Jimmy

Jodi said...

Okay, the "discount" shouldn't be the reason why you use a reusable canvas bag. You should do it because those bags end up in landfills where they take thousands of years to decompose. Once you get use to it, it is actually easier to go to the store with a reusable bag. Some people need a little encouragement and if the "discount" gets them to do it, then so be it. I think it's a far better strategy than IKEA's which is just charge people for the bags. They just make a profit on people's laziness!