Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ten on Tuesday

1. The name game has come to a stand still. I've gotten some really good suggestions. Please feel free to click on the link and add a name. Even if I know you and you don't want to have dinner with me as the prize, I can send you a bottle of wine if the name you come up with is chosen. Chances are I don't want to have dinner with you either, but it doesn't mean that you aren't creative and good with names!

2. Hurricane Dean struck Jamaica on Sunday. I find it peculiar that the reporters gathered on the northwestern coast when the storm was forecasted to hit the southeastern coast. I know that Ocho Rios and Montego Bay are the places that people (in the US) know in Jamaica, but Portland and St. Thomas were the center of all the action. If the hurricane were hitting somewhere close to the US coastline everyone would wonder why the newscasters chose to place their reporters over 200 miles away. Curious...

3. I have been thinking about all the people that I met when I was there. I hope and pray that they are all safe and recover quickly from the storm. In a place where you don't have much, a little positive energy thrown their way from us can't hurt (and maybe a dollar or two if you've got it to spare).

4. I received my Time magazine last Friday, but it was incomplete. The cover story is about how we as a society are failing our geniuses. I was really enjoying the article when I discovered that some of the pages were missing. How did that happen? Then I flipped to the story on Karl Rove and I couldn't even begin to read that one because the first page is missing. Now I know that my issue cannot be the only one to have this flaw. I'm all for saving trees, but Time there has to be a better way!!

5. I bought a water bottle from www.mysigg.com and then I left it at an audition. Of course when I went back the next day it wasn't there. I have felt guilty for carrying a plastic Aquafina bottle ever since. We really need to start thinking about why we buy water bottles. They really are completely unnecessary. Time had a great article about it in their last issue. Please take a moment to read it and contemplate it. You don't have to buy a reusable bottle, but it would be a great start.

6. My musical theatre class is kicking my ass. I have found most of the music that I need, but not the time to learn it all. But, I can't wait for the next class. It's good to be excited about something.

7. I'm going to Vegas on Friday. I have to go to set up the trade show booths for Grigg Studio. Anyone gonna be in the area, I'm off Monday and Tuesday and only have plans to be sitting by the pool. I need to look up an old friend Tara Palsha who I know lives there. It would be great to see an old friend.

8. I am typing from a public computer in a coffee house in NYC. I don't have time to go home before my vocal coaching so I thought I'd come here to update my blog. The only problem is that there is an ever-present timer ticking down the seconds I have left and I am feeling immense pressure to finish.

9. I moved out of my comfort zone today and sang for the Broadway company of Rent. I sang "I Can't Make You Love Me," by Bonnie Raitt. It went a lot better than I normally give myself credit for. I've never been really into popular music, so singing pop/rock songs frightens me a bit. I think that I did pretty well. I just need to get a more uptempo pop song in my book. Any suggestions?

10. Routine: n. a customary or regular course of procedure. I'm not good at giving myself one of these. There is so much I want to do, but I'm not sure how to fit it all in one day or week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jo--
Remember, the original track for Dean had it hitting Jamaica straight on with the NW quadrant of the storm (the strongest part) forecast to follow the northern shoreline. The forecast track changed with less than 24 hours, moving the eye along the southern coastline instead of over the mountains. It ended up south of that forecast. (I follow the tropics as part of my job with API).

So, there it is...no conspiracy...

I hope all is well with your beau's family and friends. It looks like even with CAT4 winds, the island came through OK.

jpb2525 said...

Jodi....
You sang my MOST favorite song! and I didn't get to hear you sing it. It makes me cry every time. (Bonnie did a great job, but I love George Michael's version better - and its in my range!!) I am glad you decided to make a path into the pop genre (even if its only to try something new).
Love ya.
N