Wednesday, May 30, 2007

What Men Say

Before I actually go into the topic at hand I need to say that I'm not good at blogging. I come up with ideas all day and then never write them down. Being in the biggest city in the country, crazy and oftentimes hilarious shit happens to me. I am going to do my best to start writing more often. You (the three of you who read this blog, myself included) deserve to hear about it and even if you don't deserve it, if you make the attempt to check my blog and I have failed to write in the last two weeks, you'll stop coming. I need you. I have even found myself checking my blog hoping that miraculously I might have written while sleepwalking and I might find some witty new insight to my life. Needless to say, that hasn't happened and the only way this will get done, is by doing it.
So, without further ado...
What Men Say (or really just one man while I was walking to the train in Queens.)
So, I was meeting two good friends of mine Lisa and Shoshanna for dinner in the city last night. I was really feeling crappy- I have an ear infection and I had just been on a plane that morning (note to self- I would rather walk back to NYC from Ohio than to have to go through landing with an ear infection). But, to rise to the occasion, I climbed out of bed at 4pm and did my hair and makeup, got dressed in jeans and a t-shirt and started my journey into Manhattan. For those of you who don't know, I live in Jackson Heights, Queens and I have about a 15 minute walk to the train. So about two blocks from the train I'm walking past the Barber Shop and this man starts. "Oh. My. God. You're a gorgeous woman." (I think to myself, that's nice to hear especially when I feel like dog poop- Don't look him in the eye, don't respond, that only encourages them). He continues, "Take that home with you." (I think, well he obviously didn't need any encouragement). Continuing, "When you look in the mirror remember that." (I think, when did I sign up for a self esteem seminar? Does he want me to stop and give him my phone number? Does that ever work for him? Thank God I didn't even glance his way). And he ends it with, "Wow, you are a beautiful woman." Now, I have to say, he was talking at me the entire block from one spot and I heard the last part as I waited at the crosswalk. So I start thinking about all the times men have whistled, catcalled, or otherwise made fools of themselves in public when I or some other woman crossed their path. And I came to this conclusion, there has to be women out there who respond and they are the reason that these men think that this type of behavior could get them a phone number, a date, or a hook-up of some sort. Or maybe they're all a little crazy...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jodi: Crazy wouldn't be the word I would use to describe that man's comments, idiotic or imbecilic might be better fits. Oh, who am I kidding, in the words of a great man (Rob), HE'S AN ASS! And yes, believe it or not, he probably thought you would swoon at the poetic symphony he was sending your way. Besides, you and I know that he cursed you as soon as you were gone. Such is the finicky side of men. Most need instant gratification, without it, you are just a witch who isn't worth his time ;). Love ya, Jenny

Anonymous said...

Jojo: It gets them off. Simple as that. They know they don't stand a chance, that's why they do it...it's their 'fantasy'. It gives them fodder for the bar later that night, where they hang out with their pathetic guy friends talking about how they "almost" got the hottie. Go figure...

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! They are just crazy....that is what I have concluded! I miss you. Hope all is well!

Bethany

Denny said...

Hey Jodi! Two minutes ago I couldn't believe I was reading a blog, now I can't believe I am responding to one! Anyways here goes; Something you womem need to learn about men is that we are not that complicated. Not a great deal of thought goes into things like this. It's simple. If a man walks up to ten women and point blank asks her to have sex with him he will get slapped nine times and get laid once. Those sound like pretty good odds to me!
Good Luck Jodi
Luv Ya
Denny

Jodi said...

Hey guys!
Thanks for the comments. Love you bunches