Friday, June 1, 2007

Flashback Fridays

So I got this idea from my friend Charissa's blog. Basically, I find an old photograph and then tell you about it. And I chose this picture because it is of my dad, whose 70th birthday we celebrated last weekend. Some things to note: it was Christmas Eve 1988 or 89, myUncle Joe is behind the camara, I'm wearing my Dad's hat (I kind of wanted to be Debbie Gibson- now I wouldn't mind being Deborah Gibson, at least then I could be on "the Broadway"), and my sister, Jenny, has her Sally Jessie Raphael glasses on (they are so cool, right?). Christmas Eve we always spent with my dad. My Uncle Joe and Aunt Sally would come up to Ohio from St. Louis and they would take us all out to dinner and then we would open gifts at my dad's house and then go to midnight mass. We all have the biggest smiles and also the biggest laughs. It's something that I've come to admire about my dad. He has never had an easy life; often the troubles have been of his own making and the rest of the time it's really been a case of bad luck. But, through it all he has a joy about him. Maybe it comes from a sense of knowing he is lucky to be alive, but regardless the smiles and the laughter come easy to him. And it's infectious. If he laughs, everyone begins to laugh. That's my dad.

5 comments:

Marie said...

tee hee you are so cute
and for the record rissa stole it from me ;)



and i stole it from someone else :)

Charissa said...

You have a great family! And I even have my first gay boyfriend thanks to you. Love you all. :)

Oh - and in response to Marie... yes, it's true. But for the record, when is the last time she did a Flashback Friday? Just sayin'.... :)

Anonymous said...

You were jealous of the Sally Jesse Rapheal glasses and you know it! Yes, Christmas Eve was a good time with dad. It helped you forget the other times with dad.
Love,
Jenny

Tashi said...

Hello,

I truly miss you and am soo sorry I couldn't see you! I worked midnights Memorial Day Weekend and slept 3 hours Sunday and drove to Cleveland to be with Scott and his sis & hubby. Scott's birthday was Memorial Day and the plans were already in place when your mom called. I drove back Memorial Day @ noon and back to work at 3pm. School starts back up on Mon, and I am done in Dec. Finally I will have a set schedule then! I have a Holiday moment for you: Praise the mosquito repellent truck and its pretty yellow flashers!!!!! I am soo proud of you and think the world od you, lil cous

jpb2525 said...

Jojo...
I love this picture. You are so right to try and remember those happy moments. I wish I cherished them as much as you. Maybe now I will.
Love ya,
Nonners