Friday, November 28, 2008

The New Christmas Tradition

Today was the official start of the American Christmas shopping season. I am assuming that other countries follow suit, but as Black Friday comes after Thanksgiving, a fully American holiday, I can only guess that Black Friday only exists here too. As our economy falters and more and more Americans stand in line for soup kitchens, an employee of WalMart in Long Island, NY was trampled to death as a mob broke down the door to the store and pushed and clawed its way to a sale on cheap plastic junk that has somehow come to define us and a holiday. It has come to define us because we have somehow lost ourselves in all that we consume and have made this holiday all about what we get rather than what we give. And you didn't have to be in this WalMart and part of this crowd to be part of the problem. Hopefully over the coming years as we realign our pocketbooks and our priorities, we will again be able to see the difference between need and want. People stand in soup kitchen lines because of need. People wait in lines outside of stores on the morning of Black Friday for nothing but desire and greed. That is disgusting and that is what our celebration of Christmas looks like.
So, in remembrance of Jdimytai Damour, I propose a New American Christmas Tradition. Christmas is about giving not receiving, but because we buy gifts for each other we always end up receiving. It's hard to not get excited about that gift you get to open on Christmas morning. But, this Christmas, instead of asking for material things or sending out a child's Christmas wishlist, why not send a list of charities that you want the money that would have been spent on you to go to. It can be donated in your name. And maybe someone who finds himself in line at the soup kitchen will get a blanket or clothing that he needs this Christmas. That someone who has less than I receives something I take for granted, would be gift enough for me.

3 comments:

jpb2525 said...

I couldn't agree more - and I was, too, going to write about that awful Walmart death. How tragic - and I am sure Walmart will do everything in their power to "help" that family (NOT).

Not only can you donate money - but you can give the gift of time - I know that here in Chicago - many of the shelters/food pantries are cash-strapped and unable to pay their bills (with some even closing during the coldest months of the year)...do something. Donate your time to collect food, serve food...whatever...but INVEST in your community.

Anonymous said...

I like presents and I also like giving. I guess it is all about moderation in what we choose to do something I still need to learn to do better. I am trying. love you guys mom

Anonymous said...

Jodi-

What a great idea. When my (now ex) husband and I got married, we "registered" at four charities and asked that donations be made, as no gift could have increased our joy beyond that which we found in each other.

I still believe it. This year, I'm giving goats, sheep and honeybees. Heifer Project rocks!

Baa.