Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Ten on Tuesdays

1. It was such a beautiful weekend. It has rained so much this spring that everything is that deep color of green and the flowers all have their deepest colors out for us to see.
2. I understand the premise of Do It Yourself checkouts at grocery stores and Home Depots and the rest, but it really is not very practical and it makes me laugh to watch inexperienced people try to look for the UPC bar codes. Not to mention that when you move the wrong way the computer starts shouting at you that you have an unauthorized product in the bag. It really isn't faster unless no one is in the line ahead of you and it makes otherwise intelligent people into seemingly incompetent fools.
3. Why do we think that everything can be made simpler with technology?
4. I watched Pretty Woman with OB last night because we happened upon it while channel surfing. God, I love that movie. When I was in high school, my mom bought it on VHS and Erin and I would watch it over and over until we had it memorized. We even watched it once through so we could count the number of times that Julia Roberts makes a certain face. She purses her lips as though she is either about to kiss someone or to show you that she has big, pouty lips (I'm not sure which one), but she does it throughout the movie. I think it is a character choice that Julia made. Vivian does it when she wants to make a point or when she wants to come across as sexy.
5. Haven't we all wanted a man to come to our tower, draw his sword, and then climb to rescue us?
6. I love her response to his question. When he finally makes it up the fire escape to her he asks, "And what happens when he finally makes it to the tower to rescue her?" And Vivian answers, "She rescues him right back." Why do I love this so much? Because the stranded princess in the tower isn't hopeless and powerless, she is capable of giving the prince all that he needs as well. Brilliant- a fairy tale with a feminist side!
7. I need to start going to the gym every day- I had been doing it for a while, but I have surely gotten out of the habit.
8. I need to do some spring cleaning before spring is over.
9. My brother-in-law, Rob, is a firefighter. He went to a fire in Kent, Ohio and his pictures and the story are on the website Firehouse.com.
10. Our family was celebrating my dad's 71st birthday there the Saturday night before the restaurant caught fire.

1 comment:

Marie said...

can't believe that is the same restaurant-that's crazy!