Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Ten on Tuesdays- Office Edition

1. I don't own a lot of office attire. I like it that way, but when I am temping at the same place for two weeks, outfits get recycled. I kind of feel like I did in sixth grade when I only had one pair of jeans that fit me right. I put them on everyday hoping nobody would notice. One day I would peg them, the next day I wouldn't. I would even alternate folding down the waist- they were button fly. Unfortunately, it was sixth grade and everyone noticed.
2. My building ID is a funny picture. I didn't want to look too eager (I was trying to be sophisticated, I think), so I was smiling politely. The security guard that took the picture took a long time and there was no flash, so it looks like I am impatient and annoyed. Plus, as Mere pointed out, my earrings were really big.
3. I find that I have too much free time here. I am more motivated when I have a full day. When I know there will be five more hours of the same, I procrastinate.
4. I am amazed how few women work at the higher levels at this office (it's a big office, too). The women are primarily receptionists and administrative assistants.
5. I made it to two auditions this morning. This is impressive considering I have to be to work by 11:30 and auditions begin at 9:30. They went pretty well too!
6. I took a proofreading class on Sunday and actually enjoyed it. I am hoping to get in with a few agencies and then hopefully free-lance. I have to stay motivated (see #3).
7. I can feel the pull of restaurant work- I am a little too hyperactive to be comfortable sitting all day.
8. I'm not sure if I am allowed to, but I have been watching abc.com at work. I am almost up to date with Lost. This is also why I get nothing done here (see #3).
9. When I have jobs where they work me to the bone, I always dream of a job like this. Now that I have it, I wonder at the lack of responsibility I have and wish to be doing more. The grass is always greener.
10. In reality, this job is increasing my skill set (beyond asking, "Can I take your order?") and enabling me to stay rested and focused on my career. The trouble is, what am I going to do next week? I don't know that I can live with such uncertainty...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1- what proofreading class? 2- what temp agency? 3- when can i see you?

Jodi said...

1. I took a proofreading class because I wanted to have more options for work- Manhattan Proofreader's School. 2. Currently I am temping directly for this company- not through an agency. 3. I am planning on sending you an email, but how about Thursday??

Anonymous said...

no one in 6th grade noticed

Jodi said...

anonymous- were you in 6th grade with me? You say that with authority.