Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Joanne

My friend Joanne was hanging out with her boyfriend the other day. She doesn't particularly like politics and chooses to stay out of it. I know, you are surprised that a friend of mine doesn't enjoy politics, but I am very glad to call Joanne a great friend. [Seemingly incongruous side thought here:] She and I met at the strangest audition I have ever had in this city to date. I had met a friend of hers (Karen) at UPTA's (United Professional Theatre Auditions) in Memphis. Well, we decided to hit auditions together in the city, too. So we arrive to this audition for a summer theatre and I met Joanne. We were told by the monitor that we would be going into the room fifteen at a time. Weird, we all thought, but we'll go along with it. So Karen, Joanne and I filed into the room with twelve other girls. We were all taught a 3 to 4 pitch phrase of three different songs. Then we were asked to choose which phrase we would like to sing and then we each sang it individually going down the line. Our choices were Freddy My Love (from Grease), Home (from Yeston and Kopit's Phantom) and something from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Now, when I tell you that we sang three or four pitches a piece (which translates to three or four words as well), I'm not kidding. It was ridiculous! Then to top it off they made a cut from that "audition" and the three of us were cut. So we went to a Mexican restaurant around the corner and preceded to drink margaritas in the middle of the afternoon. Needless to say, we became great friends.
Okay, so back to the night this past weekend when she and her boyfriend were hanging out. Joanne is working out to be in a fitness competition so when she got the munchies she started eating broccoli and somehow her mind turned to Barack Obama. So, she knows I'm a fan and she knew that I would appreciate her humor/ ingenuity. If you agree, go buy this tshirt at cafepress.com using this link. I kind of love it.

2 comments:

Charissa said...

I love you, but you're twisted, girl. Oh - and I promise to respond to your email soon. I've been uber-distracted and tired. I'm sorry, but I still love you, I swear. :)

Anonymous said...

I like this T-shirt too. Love yah Mom