Monday, December 10, 2007

Actually Heard This

On the #6 train heading uptown yesterday afternoon, I overheard this conversation.

Man in his 20's (with a valley girl accent): Yeah, I don't know who I'm gonna vote for yet. I'm just gonna vote for the one who's gonna win.

Asian-American Man in his 20's: I know, and it's really down to Hillary and Obama. Either one would be fine, they really are the same.

Man in his 20's (still with a valley girl accent): Yeah, I'm gonna vote for the one who's going to win.

I am still in shock! Problem one with the conversation: How could anyone possibly know who is going to win before the votes are counted. This is a huge problem with the media coverage this time out. They have been touting the inevitability of certain candidates and people actually believe it. Polls are the worst invention ever! And can anyone tell me if they have ever actually been polled during any political campaign this year or ever? Problem two with the conversation: Last I heard the only people who have dropped out of the race so far are Stephen Colbert and Tommy Thompson. People need to believe that their vote is what counts, not what the pundits say. Problem three with the conversation: Hillary and Barack are not the same. In the grand scheme of things of course they fall closer to each other on the spectrum of politics than say Kucinich and Gulliani, but they are not the same.
I am still undecided and I am not endorsing anyone with this message.
I am Jodi Beck and I approve this message.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

vilsack and gilmore also have dropped out.

jpb2525 said...

Well, I want Dennis. Problem four with the coversation - that is how we ended up with 8 years of that idiot Bush. We get what we deserve america.

Charissa said...

I love you but I get stressed out when I read your politics posts. I feel like there's too much pressure on me not to F this up. Argh.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jodi That conversation is just too funny for words and with a little work would make a great SNL Skit. I am not suprised at the stupidity of some views but then I am quite sure there are others who take issue with my views. I just have this rather hysterical image in my head of what it would look like for O and H to be exactly the same. And how much of what we see from them is real and hype and just plain exaggeration. I love them bothbut lets get real. I'm still behind Hilary. In fact I am very excited about her candidacy. Love you Mom