Saturday, November 17, 2007

1 Day till 30- 2006

I grew up and decided that I would be a participant in my life. I was no longer going to let things happen to me or around me, but I would take an active role in shaping my life the way that I wanted it to look. I sought out an opportunity to get my Equity Card and I went and got it. Actually, Jazmin's mom had a lot to do with it! I was in Florida (at a different theatre outside Tampa) playing Meg in Brigadoon. I had auditioned for Porthouse while I was in Ohio just after New Year's. Terri Kent (who was a friend and mentor) wanted to call me back for Joan in Dames at Sea. The problem was that the callback was Sunday and I was doing two shows that day. I figured that I could make it to Ohio for the callbacks on Monday, but I would have to leave Tampa Sunday night right after the show and then come back Tuesday night in time for the show Wednesday morning. So, in a furry I began to look for flights with only a week to find one. It was spring break and I was in Florida so everything I found was super expensive. I spoke to Jazmin about the problem and her mom booked me on a buddy pass (which means that I would be flying standby), but it would be only 80 bucks. The problem came when she realized that the flight from Tampa to Atlanta was oversold. Basically that meant that there was no chance that I would get to Atlanta to catch my connecting flight to Cleveland. Lucky for me one of the girls in the cast was driving to Macon, Georgia to visit her parents. Zack, another friend in the cast had some friends in Atlanta that were going to come to Macon and pick him up to hang out. I tagged along for the ride and they dropped me off at the airport at midnight. I was going to stay over night in the airport so that I didn't have to inconvenience anyone else to get me there. I figured, I'm a free spirit I can sleep in an airport. WRONG! I slept fitfully the entire night worried that I was a single woman hanging out in a huge airport. I had visions of the movie Adventures in Babysitting when Chris's best friend Brenda is in the bus station all alone and scared with weird people all around her. But, I made the flight and was on my way to my Equity card! I landed the role and my first Equity contract! It also meant that I would be in Ohio close to my family.
I came to a point where I realized putting off the inevitable does nothing but make your stomach hurt and I was tired of trying to make everything okay, when it was not. When I got home at the end of July I packed my things, found a beautiful one bedroom apartment in Jackson Heights and began my life as a single woman...

2 comments:

Charissa said...

I love that I saw your first Equity show! I am so proud of you!

jpb2525 said...

Jodi - I didn't know that whole story....I can just see you being like "Brenda" from AIB. (BTW, one of my favorite movies from the 80s)...I am so proud of you!