Monday, October 29, 2007

22 Days till 30- 1985

Mrs. Fanelli.
The first day of school that year I walked to school with Jenny and Karen and I remember Jenny telling me that Mrs. Fanelli was known to be not a very nice teacher. Then as we stood on the playground in lines behind the number of our grade on the blacktop, some of the third and fourth graders asked us which of us had Mrs. Fanelli. Of course, I said that I did. "She's old and she's a witch," someone said. All of us that had her looked at one another petrified. I was a little frightened that she might be like my grandmother who was not a nice person to be around, even when she did like you. Mrs. Fanelli turned out to be one of my absolute favorite teachers. Yes, she had different makeup. Looking back on it I remember that she drew in her eyebrows and she wore eyeliner that came out past the edge of her eye and curled up. Now, I think she was like a Hollywood movie star of the 1950's, then I just thought it was strange. It's obvious to me now that she took time to put herself together for a bunch of rambunctious 2nd graders. I can say I really respect that considering there are days that I make it all the way into the city and into work before I put a stitch of makeup on. She also wouldn't let you get away with anything and like the kids on the playground said, she had eyes on the back of her head. But all this instilled a great respect for her in me. She wasn't there for a popularity contest, she was there to teach and she did a damn good job. Mrs. Fanelli recognized early on my love of books and reading. Most kids weren't allowed to choose books from the entire library, but she let me. And, boy, did I take her up on it. One of the first books I took out from the older part of the library was the Snow Queen. I remember sitting down to read this book thinking I was part of something really cool because this book was not just a picture book and it was a little scary. It made me feel very special and the book was that much more memorable because of it. There was one day that I came to school sick and I kept getting sicker throughout the day. She checked my temperature by putting her lips to my forehead, which no one had ever done before. It was so gentle and maternal. I think I wished that she was my grandma. She let me sit at my desk with my head down until they could get a hold of my mom to pick me up. At the end of the year I was chosen for the Stolion Award by Mrs. Fanelli. It made me so proud to know that I had impressed her and that I was the person she chose to receive this honor. The next year as I stood on that blacktop behind the number three and I heard kids around me trying to scare the 2nd graders who had Mrs. Fanelli, I piped up and told them she was a great teacher. I still think so.

2 comments:

jpb2525 said...

I agree Jodi. I loved Mrs. Fanelli. She was tough - which I needed, she challenged me. Again, I am impressed by the level of detail that you remember - Amazing?! Maybe I smoked a bit too much in my teens? Anyway, I loved her too, thanks for the walk down memory lane!

Charissa said...

THE STOLION AWARD! Boy do I miss Ohio sometimes...