Monday, September 10, 2007

Being Lazy

I've said that I would post so many things and I haven't. Really I'm just being lazy and I just don't feel like it. But, I was kind of feeling bad for abandoning the ol' blog; not to mention the last blog I did was not well received by the party it was intended for and it's been up now for 5 whole days. Sorry Jim, that's what you get, I suppose, when you complain about your sister's very own special birthday post for you- the post stays up just a little too long. I love you (all the time) and your sarcasm (sometimes). I will do my best to better manage my time and to update so that my few readers actually have something to read and so the pictures that you don't like, Jim, (which I happen to love!) make it to the archives sooner.

It's been a good week, but busy. Class went well on Thursday. I made myself and the whole class cry while singing the dorkiest song, How Do I Live... It's not so dorky if it has a good story behind it, just one of the most valuable things I'm learning in class. And, if I do say so myself I came up with a damn good scenario. I know I've mentioned before but I really love the class and I have decided to remain in it for another session. Things I have to really focus on:
1. Learning to really make a song my own. I enjoy and restrict myself to the notes on the page far too much.
2. Get out of "singer mode" and really commit to the scenario (this one is especially hard for me because I am constantly critiquing my sound and what's coming out of my mouth).
3. Remembering that I am really good when I work hard and commit to the material. It is sometimes a battle between what I know and my self-confidence/ self-esteem.
4. Trying not to beat myself up on how I sound on the recordings of class. I listen and cringe and I'm far too hard on myself. But, really I'm just scared.
5. Truly learning that FEAR is False Evidence Appearing Real. There is no need to be scared. I have what it takes. Far easier said than done.

The weekend was kind of laid back and fun. I returned some Cd's and a movie to the Performing Arts Library. Just a note, movies from the library are only for a week. And it's a $1 a day fine for any overdue movies. Oops! I decided that my $10 "donation" to the library will probably be well spent. There are worse places to spend ten dollars. Mere and I walked around Lincoln Center afterwards. There was a street fair, but it was for wealthy people. I tried on a vintage looking 20's hat that I just loved and asked the price- $215. I politely saw my way from that booth. It was nice to look at everything, but it was definitely "window" shopping. Then we high-tailed it to Target, Daffy's, and Macy's where we could actually do some shopping. Between the two of us we had one pair of shoes, some ibuprofen, shampoo, and a can opener. Whoo! I know! What crazy shoppers we are! My shoes are absolutely beautiful though, and I got a fabulous deal on them. They retail for $250, I found them online for $199 and I got them at Daffy's for the bargain price of $59.99. I'm so happy with them. They look so much better in person and even though the heel is about 3 and1/2 inches they are surprisingly comfortable. I wore them out Saturday night with OB. He likes them too. He has really impeccable taste, and I really value his opinion.

Sunday, I had to memorize a song for my audition today and so OB gave me a few hours to do that and then he made us dinner (I helped a little, but he did all the real cooking). It was so good. We had a veal roast and some homemade bismati yellow rice. OB has quite an imagination and is an exceptional cook. He sauteed onion and scallion in a saucepan in a little olive oil and then added uncooked basmati rice to it, added turmeric (a spice I have never heard of), garlic salt, red pepper, salt and pepper and then added water to cook the rice. Brilliant! We watched The Lord of the Flies, drank some wine and called it an early night.

Today, I rose early and went to a Fiddler on the Roof audition that a director for whom I have previously worked called me in for. I auditioned for the role of Tzeitel. Then I went work. That's it for the update and it is surely more than I planned on writing.

6 comments:

jpb2525 said...

Steve read your shoe comment. You know he appriciates your bargain shoe shopping. Congratulations on your self reflection, it does help you grow, but as I have learned it is a difficult process...you will find it quite refreshing in the end. Good luck on the auditions. I love ya Sis.
N

Anonymous said...

Wow! Tzeitel is a great part in Fiddler! Good luck! You two should come down sometime so OB can cook for us! ;-)

Anonymous said...

hey Jodi I am so glad to read your blog and know what you are up too and what is going on in that great mind of yours. Tell OB I said Hi. I miss you. Love Mom

Charissa said...

Ooooh.... Tzeitel. What a GREAT role. I have my fingers (and legs, and eyes, and arms) crossed for you. (Antonio, too.)

Jodi said...

Wow! You guys get your hopes up for my career more than I do. I didn't get a callback so there is no Tzeitel in the cards for me.

Anonymous said...

Its there loss my dear Jodi I just reread everything and I love those shoes too do not hurt yourself. Love Mama