Monday, July 9, 2007

Notes on the Weekend

So, this will be short because its so hot I can barely think and my computer screen is emitting extra heat which is making it more complicated. Anyway, Friday I went to see 110 in the Shade with Audra McDonald. Which was amazing. They made it rain onstage. The show closes July 29th so if you have the opportunity go see it. Also, if you are under 35 years old, you can sign up for hiptix which allows you to see Roundabout Theatre Company's Broadway and off-Broadway shows at discounted prices. I saw 110 for $36.25. The only downside is that you only get one ticket per show. I love to go to the theatre by myself sometimes, so it's not really a turn off for me.
When I got home I decided to treat myself to a netflix movie online. Netflix gave me this offer that lowered my monthly payment by a dollar and now allows me to watch movies on from my computer for 14 hours a month. There aren't DVD extras and the selection is not the best, but when you're waiting for a movie to arrive it's pretty cool. (OB, I am not saying this to brag, so don't feel too bad.) Evidently it is not an offer that is given to everyone and I'm not sure why, but it works for me because I don't have a TV and I watch movies from my computer anyway. I watched the documentary Maxed Out which was really good. I highly recommend that if you use credit cards, then watch this movie. The movie tracks the lives of some incredibly in debt people and also follows the trail of how the banking industry rewrote Bankruptcy law in 2005. MBNA was the primary author. Politicians really need to start answering to the people not the banks, credit card companies and corporate America. The only way that will happen is by being a more informed public. Find out where the donations to your favorite presidential candidate are coming from here. And then follow their voting patterns. Make sure that they are beholden to their constituencies and not the big guys. On the Dems side all the Presidential Candidates in the Senate at the time voted no except Joe Biden from Delaware who voted for the bill and Hillary Clinton from New York who was the only member of the Senate to not take part in the vote.
Moving on to the rest of the weekend because if I don't I'll end up sitting here melting into the chair. Saturday was clean the apartment day. And I must say it is beautiful. I have never had a pet before and I had no idea that they could lose so much hair. They also puke. Friday I learned that when you have a pet in the house you should not attempt to save energy by walking in the dark. Cat puke is not fun to step in with bare feet. Saturday night OB picked me up and we went to Long Island for a BBQ. It was a ton of fun and I learned that dominos is an actual game, not just a line them up and knock them down sort of game, but a game involving probability. I never got the finer points, but I'm sure I'll learn.
Sunday was a rest for most of the day because its hot out sort of day. We did go rollerblading for an hour or so, but it was hot and I didn't put on any sunscreen. I didn't get burnt, so don't worry mom! I am planning on buying 30 and 50 SPF for Jamaica. A woman I met at the BBQ said 50 is great, but if you miss any part of the skin then it makes for a really dramatic suntan/burn lines. Sun is not usually my friend so I will probably err on the side of caution.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jo--
It's been terribly hot here in DC; however, they seem to have invented this wonderful thing--let's see...I think it is called an "air conditioner". Well, I can tell you, the condition of my air is GREAT!! You should see if one of these neat technological marvels are available in the city...from what I understand, they can even fit into a window opening! Imagine that--what exciting times we live in!!! ;-)

jpb2525 said...

When did you get a pet?? A cat? whaaaaa???? I can't stand cats. Litter boxes are gross.