Friday, October 10, 2008

Ten Days

I haven't posted for ten days. And my, how the world has changed (or maybe it hasn't changed, but a spotlight is shining down on the worst in human nature). I am outraged at the conduct of the McCain- Palin campaign and the ignorance of some of their supporters. So much so that I can barely even talk about it. Blatant racism, xenophobia, guilt by association, and the list continues to grow daily. I decided to write McCain's daughter Meghan. I don't know that she'll actually read it, but I figured if someone could knock some sense into the campaign maybe it would be a former Democrat who changed parties to be able to vote for her dad in the primaries. I have waited on Meghan and John McCain when he would visit her when she was attending Columbia in NYC. They were both always exceptionally nice and good tippers. And as a side note- I thought that John McCain was a pretty cool dude back then and was almost as excited to wait on him as I was Cher! I tried to focus my attention in the letter to the fact that both McCain and Palin have not publicly reproached their attendees when they say unacceptable things. I watched a video where a person called out "Terrorist!" when John McCain asked the loaded question, "Who is the real Barack Obama?" He looks visibly uncomfortable for a moment and then he continues with the baiting which is dishonest and dishonorable. I said to Meghan that regardless of the outcome of this election her father deserves a better legacy than one that includes such low balling in the final days of a campaign. I believe he is an honorable man that has lost his way and she has an opportunity to bring him back. He deserves that legacy. And all Americans, Republican and Democrat, deserve better.

1 comment:

jpb2525 said...

well put. I agree that the level of nastiness in this election is disgusting and doesn't put "Country First" as is McCain's campaign slogan. Interestingly, during the debates, McCain has insisted that he KNOWS how to get Bin Laden, how to end the war - well if these are true facts and he does know...why must he wait? Why doesn't he give that information to Patraus (sp?) and the Pentagon and make it happen now? If he truly believes in his "Country First" montra - I would think this would be the perfect opportunity for him to really put his Country First.