Tuesday, October 21, 2008

How I Spent My Weekend

I, an "Eastern elitist" from the "fake America (thank you Jon Stewart)" part of America, traveled back to my place of birth, Ohio, to do a little campaigning for Barack Obama. Now, I have lived in NYC for over seven years and I am struck by how much I have changed when I go home. I don't fit there anymore. Yes, my family welcomes me "home" with open arms and I love the autumn in Ohio, but I really am a city girl fake American through and through. Lucky for me I may have a driver's license from my fake state but I have a passport issued by the real America so traveling to this other country was a snap! Now, I'm not sure how it happened, but while I knocked on doors with my sister and two nephews (fake Americans misplaced in real America), the majority of people we canvassed from small town Brimfield/Suffield said they were leaning Obama or voting for him. There were a few still undecided voters whose reasons ranged from "voting for the lessor of two evils" (which I can completely understand considering politicians' pandering and then not doing anything they say when they get into office) to "personal reasons." We had a few polite "we're voting for McCain" people and then we had the door slams and my personal favorite "We're voting for the other, I mean the good guy!" promptly followed by a door closing in our faces. I wasn't aware until then that we were playing cops and robbers!

Sorry to my friends- I didn't get my flight until Wednesday and I was campaigning all day Saturday and Sunday so I didn't have any time for visits.

3 comments:

jpb2525 said...

Hi Jojo: Awesome work! I will be heading up a Chicago delegation to the great Red State of Indiana the weekend before the election. When the campaign learned of my experience with campaigning and my degree - I was moved to heading the delegation ...interesting! I can't wait to see what the fine people of Indiana have to say!

Cassie said...

I wish you would have knocked on my door. I would have hugged you and offered you a hot cocoa!

Anonymous said...

Jodi,

That's great of you to do. We canvassed a few weeks ago, and we're working in the office all this week. We had a chance to hear the closing argument speech in Canton yesterday, and it was amazing.

Eric