Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ten on Tuesdays- Catch Up Edition

1. Time flies when you're having fun. Ok, really, time just flies. Can you believe we are halfway through February already?

2. I went to Vegas last week for my job, but I went with Meredith. Having a friend in Vegas definitely makes it more bearable. We worked our butts off for two days, but then we had two days to relax. I gambled $25. I know, chump change, but gambling makes me nervous. I don't like thinking about all the money I could win because it's the same as not thinking about all the money you could lose. The ideas go hand in hand, but the "positive" one always seems to overshadow the realistic one. Winning money begets greed. I was up five dollars at one point and then continued to play and lost it all telling myself, "I was up once, I can get there again."

3. The cocktail waitresses at the Rio were wearing lingerie as their uniform (a black negligee and a black thong with black heels- most chose to wear pantyhose too). I know, they don't have to work there, but on my last night I finally saw a man cocktail serving and what was he wearing you ask- black dress pants and a button down collared shirt that had the first two buttons unbuttoned. Seems a bit skewed to me.

4. The Friday I left for Vegas (which was one and a half days after I sent the letter) I was contacted by a customer service representative at my bank. He apologized to me over and over and said that the bank wanted to do everything in their power to make me happy. I had already been refunded the $15. They gave me totally free checking for life (or as long as I have the account)! Pretty cool. I kind of wanted to fight for all the others who have been charged the egregious fee, but I realized that you have to pick your battles in order to win the war.

5. I voted for Barack Obama in the February 5th New York primary.

6. I foresee a few problems for the Democrats as they move forward in this crazy election.

7. As Obama or Hillary Clinton attempt to clinch the nomination, they are going to begin attacking one another. I really don't see any other way they can differentiate themselves because their platforms are quite similar. It has already begun. But, because they have the Party to think of, this of course is manifesting itself in petty arguments. "Mommy, mommy, she's trying to cheat." "No I'm not, no I'm NOT. He's changing the rules in the middle of the game. It's not fair....." and on and on it will go until they both lose some credibility. Not to mention bringing the party back together once one of them is declared the winner only becomes more difficult as time goes on.

8. If Clinton becomes the nominee I think that this primary will hurt her most. She already has a group of people who dislike her within the party and outside it. I think she will have a harder time recovering from it. If it becomes a knock out fight the conclusions people have already drawn about Clinton will be harder to shed.

9. The fact that the DNC decided that Florida's and Michigan's delegates won't count is ridiculous. But more ridiculous is that the ballots were even printed with the Democratic candidates' names on them. If you aren't going to count them, and you aren't going to allow the candidates to campaign there, why would you allow the ballots to be printed and then used in voting? Really, if you are going to disenfranchise people you gotta go all the way. Come on DNC, you look a bit amateurish. Were you paying attention during the 2000 and 2004 elections? You should have learned how to accomplish this task definitively. Kudos to Michigan who almost got there by having only Hillary Clinton on the ballot. And a sidebar to the Clinton campaign: If you are still confused how someone can show up to vote and decide to make a statement by not voting for or against you only have to look at Michigan where 44% of Democrats voted present. Oh I'm sorry, I mean uncommitted.

10. It's easy to see how John Stewart and Stephen Colbert make all their money making fun of and poking fun at this ridiculous thing we call a democracy, because it is more like a soap opera.

1 comment:

jpb2525 said...

hmmmmm.....BO huh? He disappoints me on so many levels. Not to mention that he has not been vetted by the press yet. Believe me there is a lot of dirt on BO - you only have to watch the news in Chicago or read a chicago newspaper. HC has already been through the ringer - nothing new the Repubs can find on her.....and your comment about "present?" well, that was BO's way of not having to vote on a DIFFICULT issue....he did it over and over and over....on tough issues...I think he is way to green .....as for your other observations on the DNC...I agree. Interesting points of view on Vegas...Did I tell you I hate Vegas? Miss you sis!