Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Straight to the Top

Sometimes to get things done, you have to go straight to the top. Here is a letter I wrote via an online letter format (the only way I could find to lodge a complaint) that I addressed to the Office of the Chairman of the bank that I have my checking account with. FYI- when I opened the account it was free checking. We'll see if this letter makes it to these guys at all...

Dear Office of the Chairman, [I actually addressed it to the three people that are the Office of the Chairman, but I thought I'd give them an opportunity to respond to my complaint before I publish their names.]

I recently noticed a cycle fee on my account. As this had never happened before I called the customer service number to find out what it meant. The person I spoke with was nice enough to refund the fee- this time... But, what I found out from this representative highly disappoints me. I have appreciated [this] Bank so much since I became a customer. I tell all my friends and family what a cool, forward thinking bank you are. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that you have a fee for checking accounts that go below $100. I understand from the person I spoke to that you changed this policy after acquiring another bank last year. If you were as forward thinking as I thought, you would have made those banks like you, rather than becoming the type of bank I have been attempting to avoid. Let me please tell you the immoral flaw in this charge. Normal people use checking accounts to pay bills and to live their day to day lives. Not that I should have to explain myself, but I went below $100 in my account because I was dropped from my health insurance and had to begin paying for it out of pocket. I didn't overdraft and I didn't do anything wrong- I was just broke for a week. It seems completely insensitive, not to mention downright greedy to take from those with the least to fatten your own wallets. I am sure that there are many people who have found themselves in similar situations who have not had the ability to voice their grievances with you. I pray that you and your families never see your accounts below $100. It is not an easy place to be and I more fervently hope that you see the error in your ways and return to banking in a way by which I can be proud to say I am your customer.

3 comments:

Cassie said...

Wow does that piss me off! Let us know if you ever hear anything. I'd send it to the media as well

jpb2525 said...

Banks and Insurance Companies. They SUCK! How I triumph the plot of "Fight Club". If you've seen it - you will know what I mean!

Anonymous said...

Don't get me started. There are somany hidden charges to day for banks, credit companies, etc. I understand they are all hurting because of the mortgage crisis and trying to make up some of their losses off the backs of the smallest of us. Let me know what you hear back.