Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Years Resolution

I have been reading Eat Pray Love and I can't put it down. And for the times that I have had to put it down, I have been using the most adorable picture of my nephews as my bookmark. And when I pick up the book and begin reading I am greeted by their smiling faces and the reminder of what love looks like. Anyway, I try not to make silly resolutions, so it tends to be a hope for the year. So, this year I am going to be fearless. I refuse to not do something because I am afraid of the word NO. And then I realized while sitting on the train how completely silly a New Year's Resolution is. January 1 is an arbitrary date in our lives, no more important or meaningful than any other day of the year has the potential to be. I will live each moment as if it has the importance of being the first day. And it does. Days are like snowflakes, there is not one that repeats. No matter how monotonous days sometimes feel they are always different, always unique, always the first in which the experiences of the day unwrap themselves into each moment. I plan to get wrapped up in that uniqueness, see through the eyes of a child, and truly live. I want to laugh and smile with utter abandon, and feel more deeply because I understand...

2 comments:

jpb2525 said...

I LOVE that picture! They are so precious! You are correct about the arbitrariness of 1/1 - though it is usually a sign of a "new beginning" and thus the resolution to make a "change."

Personally - I don't make resolutions. I try to make each day interesting and special.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodi, I love that picture too and I must say the joys of childhood I had with my kids and even more with my grandchildren. Kids know what life is about and how to enjoy and experience it. I smile whenever I see that picture in my day and somedays I need to see it many times. Love ya Hon Mom