Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Ten on Tuesday

1. It's officially a week until Christmas! Mere and I just finished trimming the tree. Mere, OB and I went to get it on Saturday, but we ran out of time to do anything other than put it in the stand and water it.
2. I just started shopping for Christmas. OOPS!
3. The elevator in the building I work in has a small flat screen TV that said Monday was the last day to get your cards in the mail to guarantee delivery by Christmas. Thank God for Priority Mail!
4. I'm staying in NYC for Christmas.
5. I've been applying for health insurance. The application is in, now they want additional information and I have to sign a contract to give them my first born...
6. Starting to catch up on some political news. I watched the first half of the Republican You Tube debate. I just have to say, all the talk about guns- silly, in my opinion. If you want to hear an interesting discussion on the topic listen to this interview by Leonard Lopate with a former gun lobbyist Richard Feldman here.

7. I watched Joyeux Noel last night with OB (from his Netflix Queue). I just have to say it was a good movie (I recommend it!), but man's need to battle man is the strangest concept for me to wrap my brain around. As soon as I think I have it figured out, some paradox shows itself and the reasoning for it (or against it, for that matter) breaks into a million little pieces.
8. Opinions can be lethal.
9. Another concept that can set your mind spinning is the "us and them" mentality. There is no way to be separate from this mindset. Even though we think of ourselves as individuals we are constantly placing ourselves or being placed by society into groups. Groups invariably create an "us and them" collective mentality.
10.I think leaf blowers are the laziest invention, EVER!

4 comments:

Jim-the Classical Liberal (Views from the Right) said...

What was I to get out of the NPR interview?

Jodi said...

Take from it what you will. What I thought was interesting was that he seems to think that the NRA completed its task of saving the right to bear arms and because of this NRA has to manufacture reasons to get people to keep giving them money. A few of the questions at the Youtube debate had to do with guns and I thought the two relate to one another.

jpb2525 said...

i am so sorry. I cannot even think of watching any Republican Debate when the majority of them believe the earth is only 3,000 years old? Are they for real??? Utterly ridiculous. Not to mention that teen pregnancies are on the RISE (first time in over 20 years) - so much for abstinance only teaching....there is nothing left for them to yell about except guns and God. Too bad - so many other IMPORTANT issues.

Anonymous said...

Jodi I found the entire tuesday ten very interesting including the leaf blower comment. Very funny.