Sunday, November 4, 2007

16 Days till 30- 1991

I ran for President of the sixth grade and lost. I was 6th out of ten contenders and the highest ranking girl. I can't remember what I ran on, but it surely wasn't popularity. I think this was the first time I realized that having two first names was a liability. It was also the first time that most people knew that my real name was Joyce. And why might they have discovered this, you might ask? It was because Joyce rhymes with choice and what better campaign slogan than to have VOTE for JOYCE she's the right CHOICE! I also had posters with Jodi on them, but I can't remember the slogan we used. When we gave our speeches during an assembly I probably could have used the name thing to my advantage, but I didn't mention it. We had put on the bottom of the Joyce posters Jodi Beck for President and we figured that covered it. Obviously, you can't reiterate enough when it comes to name recognition. It was a real flaw in the campaign.

2 comments:

jpb2525 said...

I thought you had actually won an election? or was that Jenny?
You are right - bad choice - probably confused your voting public with the two different names....

Anonymous said...

John,
I never won an election....I was the wall flower and quite content to be one :)
Jenny