Monday, November 5, 2007

14 Days till 30- 1993

My mom graduated Summa Cum Laude with her Master's degree in Marriage and Family Therapy. I think that my mom is one of the most amazing people in the entire world. She overcame a lot of diversity to put herself in a place she wanted and more appropriately she chose to be. She took her life by the reins and directed it where she wanted to go and she did it all while raising four kids pretty much on her own. She showed us all that anything is possible if we put our minds to it (and switch around a few credit card balances to keep the money coming in!). The story of my mom's journey is for her to tell, but I will say that she surely didn't have it easy. She could have taken the easy route and accomplished nothing and blamed it on the horrible childhood and the horrible mother she had. We all knew that it had been hard for her. There were nights that I could hear her cry herself to sleep. She would smoke by the window in her room with the smoke going out the fan turned on exhaust while deep in thought, crying, and rocking herself in her rocking chair. But she took the high road. She decided what she wanted her life to look like and although it was a tough journey she set out on it and never looked back. She showed me what attaining a dream looks like, it's hard work, but worth every moment of it because it's yours.

2 comments:

jpb2525 said...

such a great tribute to Mom. I think she's the best too!!!!!!

Charissa said...

I heart Mom, too.