Friday, October 26, 2007

25 Days till 30- 1982

I think that these posts will be more meaningful from here on out. At about five years old the memories become clearer and more real to me. Now, I spent the majority of this year as a 4 year old. And as most 4 year olds, I didn't yet understand the concept of time as I do now, so I'm not sure this all happened in this year, but I'm lumping it together anyway. I was going to Kathy's Preschool which was a big deal to me even then because it was a whole day in a foreign place with lots of people I didn't know. I learned to read and to socialize and to do simple math and I even learned French (which I promptly forgot when I started public school in the first grade). Besides the year I was born I think this was a big year (big time) for me. It established me as a student ahead of most of my peers and it was a place I learned to cherish. I have always thrived on competition. I have not always been the best, but I recognize excellence and I attempt to strive for it. Kathy's Pre-school also instilled a deep love of learning in me that I have never lost.

I think it was hard for me the first couple of days and I think I remember crying and I know I wet my pants. That was devastating to me. I was not a pee in your pants type of kid, but I didn't go when everyone went to the bathroom because I didn't have to and then when I did have to I don't think I knew that I was allowed to, hence I wet my pants. Because I never had done that before my mom had never left an extra pair of underwear for me. It really was uncharacteristic. So, I had to wear someone else's extra underwear and I was so embarrassed. I think that it may have even been some boy's underwear. Needless to say, I wanted to be held by my teacher the rest of the day.

I also participated in my first play and my first solo dance piece there. I played Doc in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I remember feeding Snow White her lines during the show. I loved every moment of being on stage and I've never forgotten. As for my solo dance piece, I had to audition to be included in the program. The school offered lessons, but I took dance lessons with Carol Cain. I was in a tap class and I auditioned with my recital dance and I was accepted. I had never danced by myself. This was a big step and it was a huge stage in my eyes. At my recital there was always a teacher doing the dance off stage so that if you forgot you could look to them. I was alone on this stage and I got up there and did it all by myself.

And finally, a memory I take with me from this time is one of my fondest childhood memories. My mom had to drive me to Cuyahoga Falls on the way to work each morning. She would wake me up by calling out my name into the darkness of the room I shared with my sister. I would wake up so easily then and so happily. She would brush my hair and we would decide whether or not I wanted it in pigtails that day (I think that was my favorite style). My mom sat on her rocking chair and I sat on the floor in front of her. When we were ready she'd pack me in the car- I seem to remember the front seat- and we would begin our drive together. Mom and I would sing the whole way to school. We'd sing whatever we knew, sometimes she would just sing for me until I learned the songs. The one that pops into my head is "You Light up My Life," but I seem to think that might have been Jenny's favorite song. Anyway, this one particular morning we were enjoying singing together so much that my mom forgot to stop at school to drop me off. By the time she realized we were most of the way toward Akron General where she was the head nurse on the Psych floor (a title I knew and was very proud of, and was willing to share with anyone who would listen). I remember that she decided to take me with her to work that day or maybe I wished it so much, it's what I remember to be true. Either way, she was one fantastic mom in my book that day (she usually was). I know we laughed a lot about it and it's given me a smile when I think back on it.

No comments: