Monday, June 25, 2007

Notes on the Weekend

First, the weekend, as most normal people experience it, is a new phenomenon for me. Because I am an actress and find myself waiting tables when I'm not acting, I haven't had the opportunity to really understand the joy of the weekend. While doing shows my weekend consists of Sunday evening, Monday, and Tuesday afternoon. I can never complain because I get to do what I love, but I have thought that it might be difficult to do normal people things while maintaining this schedule (insert family here!?). While waiting tables, the majority of the money comes in on the weekend and most restaurants don't allow you every weekend off. I'm going to have a hard time going back to that life, I think, because this weekend was a ton of fun! Friday kind of started with the blahs. I was exhausted from 4 auditions and the Dialogue Series with John Edwards on Thursday and then another audition followed by a long lunch on Friday with Jazmin. So, Friday night I stayed home and watched movies by myself. My Uncle Joe recommended Being There. It is a Peter Sellers movie from 1979. And, Uncle Joe, you were right it was good. I also watched Where Words Prevail which Odelle gave me because he saw it and thought I would enjoy it (I know, he's good!). It is a documentary of Cicely Berry who is the voice coach for the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Saturday morning Mere and I woke up had some coffee and a chat and decided to go to breakfast at IHOP at the bright and early time of 1PM (It was brunch). We shopped and tried on clothes at a really fun store called Mandee's. Neither of us bought anything, but we did enjoy trying on ridiculous outfits and laughing at them. Odelle picked me up later that afternoon and we headed to Brooklyn to Rollerblade. I LEARNED TO SKATE BACKWARD!!!! I know all caps seems a little juvenile, but it has been one of those things that has remained illusive to me ever since I was young and my mom would take the four of us to Rocky's Skating Rink. My mom was such a good skater and I could never go backward like her, and now I can! It's kind of like dancing the Rumba!

Sunday Mere and I were supposed to go wait for tickets to Shakespeare in the Park, but we couldn't get it together. There's always next week. Anyway, Odelle wanted to scope out a different place to skate so we went to Manhattan Beach in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. It wasn't good for skating, but we went up and down the street anyway. We sat on the beach for awhile and watched this couple attempt to fly a kite. Odelle commented on the fact that they had bought the kite and that in Jamaica they make their own (kind of like Kite Runner, which is a fabulous book).

So, that brings me to today. OB took the day off from work and we made our own kites and flew them on the beach. It was a ton of fun, a lot of hard work, and a greater accomplishment knowing that the kites were made by us. They looked fabulous and I was so proud of us!! We made the kite with regular printer paper (which we drew pictures on: mine had a picture of a girl's face) and skewers. The tail we made with fabric. We used twine as the kite string. I know I have to get better at bringing my camera with me, I'm sure I would have had great pictures. All in all, it was a fun filled weekend. I'm beginning to understand why weekend is such a glorified word!

No comments: