Monday, June 18, 2007

Notes on the Weekend

I met a five year old girl at Odelle's soccer game on Saturday. She was absolutely adorable, funny, and full of stories. She came up to me on the bleachers to introduce herself by saying, "I know your name." I said, "Wow, you do? What is it?" I thought that maybe her dad who was playing on the team with Odelle told her who I was. Her answer was priceless. "All girls that look like you are named Jessica." "Well, no my name is not Jessica, it's Jodi," I said. I think she was a little confused and I'm not sure if she did it on purpose or not but the rest of the afternoon she called me Jessica. We had a fun afternoon of racing around the park and rolling down hills. The boys unfortunately lost their game against the other team. Most unfortunately I missed most of the game because I found myself playing with all the little kids in attendance. But, I did have a lot of fun. We went to dinner in Park Slope, Brooklyn at a restaurant called Santa Fe. It was an American-Mexican restaurant with yummy pomegranate margaritas. We had a fabulous time. We were discussing the song Umbrella by Rihanna and featuring Jay Z on the way home and decided to turn around and find the album in the city at 11pm (see the video above). It is the city that never sleeps. We found the CD in the village around Bleecker Street (I've realized that I need to be more aware of the places that I'm going to write about- I promise to be better in the future). There are a couple of what I would call teen songs on it but for the most part it's a lot of fun to listen to. The song was mentioned as the summer's sexiest in last week's issue of Time.

Sunday we went rollerblading and Odelle taught me some soccer moves. My forehead hurts today from hitting the ball with my head, but it didn't bruise and that's what I was worried about. We had a lot of fun and we exhausted ourselves, drank beer and watched a movie about Jack Johnson called "Unforgivable Blackness." Get it from netflix. He was a heavyweight world champion around the turn of the 20th century. It chronicles his life and how the government and the American people treated him so unjustly because he had not only beaten a white man for the title, but he refused to live the way a black man "should" at the time.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Unforgivable Blackness is in my Blockbuster Q...it's actually next. I can't wait to see it.